Thursday, December 12, 2013

December 9, 2013

Hola Familia!! 

All I can say is that Chicago is COLD! Ha, well we got about a foot of snow yesterday, but today is absolutely beautiful and the suns out!!! Well, it has been a crazy week. The mission pulls out a lot of emotion. Im not exactly sure were to start. We had a zone meeting in Schaumburg and district lunch after, so we decided to go out for real chicago, deep dish pizza. It was great except the pizza was 80% cheese and 20% bread. But now I can say that I have eaten it :) 
As a mission we have a goal to get 200 baptisms by the end of the year... So we are all praying harder than ever, we had a district fast/prayer to get all our investigators to church. The great news was that Patty was on date for this saturday. We have been working alot with her, we stopped by before church and she said she was coming. But an hour later when church started, she didnt show up. We called and texted but nothing... and then last night, she texted saying that she cant be baptized because her mother is catholic and she wants to continue to worship La Virgin Guadalupe.... and a bunch of other stuff. It kind of broke my heart a little... and i cried all though the Christmas Devotional  (Im a baby)... so hopefully we can see her tonight and get everything straightened out. 

Anyway, Christmas on the mission is different... But really cool because everyone is in the Christmas spirit so they feel guilty turning away two freezing girls that claim to be representatives of Christ. 
I have to give a talk about my favorite Book of Mormon scripture at zone conference tomorrow, so I thought I would share it will you to! 
My Mission scripture is Ether 12:4. "Wherefore, whoso believe in God might with a surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God." So, I dont know if I was naive before, or maybe just in denial, but before my mission i never realized how scary the world was. It was a very shocking reality when i entered the field and everyone's problems seemed so overwhelming and so real. It seemed to me, more often than not, that people are given challenges that they just cant deal with. 
But I am coming to better understand that it is for this very reason, that we need the Gospel in our lives. We can hope for a better world because we know that God exists and is aware of us. I have the blessing of sharing this hope with others. 
Ezra Taft Benson said:
"we live in an age, as the Lord fortold, men’s hearts are failing tem, not only physically but in spirit... Satan increasingly striving to overcome the saints with despair, discouragement, despondency, and depression.” “Yet, of all people, we as Latter-day Saints should be the most optimistic and the least pessimistic. For while we know that peace shall be taken from the earth, and the devil shall have power over His own dominion, we are also assured that the Lord shall have power over his saints, an shall reign in their midst.” (thanks dad for the talk!!)
We know as we are exactly obedient to the laws and commandments of God, we are qualifying ourselves for God’s blessing of safety, protection and ultimately, a place at the right hand of God.
And this hope, comes from faith, making an anchor to the souls of men. I love this line! I just picture a ship with an anchor even when the wind blows and temptations come, we will have a solid foundation and will never drift too far from our purpose.  
And then the last part: which would make them sure and steadfast. Always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God.
As for now, that’s my goal… to be described as sure and steadfast.
Our testimonies and conversions to the Gospel of Jesus Christ should lead us to the desire to share it, to help others receive that same hope and joy in their lives and to always be abounding in good works, or always going about the Lords business. At least for me, that is why I am on a mission.
And in the end, everything we do should be to glorify our Father who is in heaven.
So… I would love to hear what some of your favorite scriptures are and why!!!

 MOM: thank you so so much for my amazing quilt!!! I LOVE IT!! I am so impressed and it makes me so extremely happy!!! 
I hope you are all having an amazing week, even with the snow... it helps to know that we are not suffering alone in the cold :) 
If i can do anything for you please let me know!!! I love you all so so much!! Ill send some pictures in the next email!!! Thanks for everything you do! 
Love Hermana Johnson 




No comments:

Post a Comment