Thursday, December 12, 2013

November 4, 2013

Hola Familia,
How is everyone there?!! I’m sorry you are all sick, we have all been sick here as well… Hispanics are very superstitious, and apparently we have been walking around shoe-less for too long :) there may be some truth to that… you (mom) always told me to put sock on in the winter.
But everything is great here. One more week until Hermana Child is being transferred (we think), which is stressing me out a little bit because rumor has it that I will be training… which means I have about a week to learn EVERYTHING… and an entire language. Good think God qualifies those He calls because I know there is no way I could do this on my own.
I have had some really great experiences this week. On Wednesday, Elder Martino from the 70 came to talk to our district!! He was awesome!! Super powerful and inspiring. Our mission is trying to get 200 more baptisms before the end of the year… so he helped us see where we are lacking a little bit and where we need to improve. His wife spoke too, they have served as mission presidents multiple times and they just finished assignments in Guatemala. It is really neat to see how the Lord has used them to change so many people’s lives… She was telling me how amazing it is to see how the Lord uses our talents though out our lives; so maybe one day, when I can speak this language… Hermana Child read me a quote that says, “The Lord only asks for your availability, then when you prove your dependability, he strengthens you with more abilities.” (Or something like that, but you get the jest.)
We have been teaching a super awesome investigator, Luis. He lives in our apartment complex… He is that one that found and fixed bikes for us. Yesterday we met to walk with him to church; he had dressed up and was so excited. He said he found the suit from a yard sale and was glad he had something to wear it to. He helped us move one of our members yesterday and always brings us treats. He loves church and can’t wait to come back… we are praying he will accept a baptism date this week!
One of the coolest experiences on a mission is listening to someone pray for the very first time. We met a PNI last week and had scheduled a time to come back. So we stopped by on Wednesday. Her husband invited us in and we sat down to give a lesson to their family, Brenda, Martin, and their 3 adorable children. They just moved here from Mexico a few months ago, she has a 3 month old baby and his brother passed away in June. We were talking about how we find peace and purpose though the Book of Mormon when his brother walked in and said hi. He is deaf! So I raided my mind trying to dig up as much sign language as I could, and we were able to teach him a little too! It was the coolest experience. And then we all took turns praying, and I prayed in sign language… And he had never seen anyone pray before! In fact, no one in his family can speak sign language and he works in a factory all day. So basically, he never talks to anyone. And he was so excited; even though I really don’t know much. He was smiling so big. And he was so excited to read the Book of Mormon and for us to come back next week. I have to admit, I’m pretty excited too! But it was really hard trying to translate from Spanish to English/ASL… a cool experience.
Well, I love you all so much!! I’m so thankful for your letters and emails!! The boots didn’t come yet, but I’m hoping they will be waiting for me at zone conference this next week- you’re the greatest mom!!! The weathers pretty cold and windy, we have had one day of snow and quite a few rainy ones… but its as beautiful as ever! Elder Martino commented that our mission is the most obedient mission of anyone he has visited (thanks to Pres. Fenn!) and so we have been picked as one of the first missions to test our online/facebook proselyting. We are not quite sure how it will work but there having orientation this Wednesday! It’s a pretty exciting time to be a member… mostly because its true!! I love this gospel and im so lucky I get to bear my testimony every day!! I love you all!! I hope you feel better and have a great week!!!
Thanks for everything!!
Love Hermana Johnson


Thanks aunt Cari and Jenn for all the fun halloween treats... we had a great halloween night!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment